AddressEdificio Desarrollo Farmacéutico. / Avda. Conocimiento 3. / Parque Tecnológico Ciencias de la Salud. 18016 Granada. Avda Conocimiento 34, 18016 GranadaSpain
natural products, untargeted metabolomics, microbial secondary metabolism, drug discovery, molecular probes
Fungal and bacterial systems; cancer cell lines, human pathogens
Microbial isolation and scale up fermentation, Natural product chemistry (isolation and structural elucidation), Analytical platform (LC-MS and NMR) for bioanalysis and metabolomics; high throughput screening platform, High content imaging; phenotypic screening; high throughput cultivation of human cell lines;
Collaborations outside COST
MEDINA collaborates with academic and industrial teams including biologists, chemists and microbiologist involving: basic and applied research of molecular targets and in vitro and animal models in cancer, neurodegeneration, and infectious and parasitic diseases; the identification of metabolomic biomarkers; the isolation and structural elucidation of novel natural products and metabolic profiling of secondary metabolites; the exploitation of secondary metabolism of novel and/or previously uncultivated microorganisms. MEDINA participates in six EU consortia (EU-FP7 PHARMASEA, MC-ITN-PARAMET, MC-IAPP-Microsmetics and IMI-ND4BB ENABLE; H2020 BLUEandGREEN; H2020 Ocean Medicines).
Short description of ongoing research projects
Epigenetic modulation of fungal and bacterial secondary metabolism; induction of cryptic biosynthetic pathways in bacteria and fungi; natural products metabolomic profiling; application of natural product metabolites as specific effectors in cancer metabolism and cell cycle; drug discovery of anticancer compounds.
- Genilloud O (2014) The re-emerging role of microbial natural products in antibiotic discovery. Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 106: 1. 173-88
- González-Menéndez G, Asensio F, Moreno C, de Pedro N, Monteiro MC, de la Cruz M, Vicente F, Bills GF, Reyes F, Genilloud O, Tormo JR (2014) Assessing the effects of adsorptive polymeric resin additions on fungal secondary metabolite chemical diversity Mycology 5:179-191.
- Valiante V, Monteiro M, Martín J, Altwasser R, El Aouad N, González I, Kniemeyer O, Mellado E, Palomo S, de Pedro N, Pérez-Victoria I, Tormo J, Vicente F, Reyes F, Genilloud O, and Brakhage A (2015). Hitting the caspofungin salvage pathway of human-pathogenic fungi with the novel lasso peptide humidimycin (MDN-0010). Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 59:5145-53
- Palomo S, González I, Martín J, de la Cruz M, Vicente F, Reyes F, Tormo JR, Anderson M, Hill RT, Genilloud O. (2013). Sponge-derived Kocuria and Micrococcus spp. as new sources of thiazolylpeptide antibiotics. Marine Drugs 11:1071-7086
- Gonzalez-Menendez V, Martín J, Muñoz F, Tormo JR, Genilloud O. (2015)Multicomponent analysis of the differential induction of secondary metabolite profiles in fungal endophytes. Molecules (submitted)
Other activities of potential interest to others