AddressFaculty of Sciences, Department of biology and ecology, Sq Dositeja Obradovica 2, 21000 Novi Sad, SerbiaSerbia
Reproductive and developmental toxicology, DOHaD, DNA methylation, Signaling pathways, Endocrine disruption
zebrafish embryos, ovarian granulosa cells - rat and human, rat testicular Leydig cells, human spermatozoa, various cell lines
MSRE-qPCR for DNA methylation analysis, qPCR, Western blot, Danio rerio embryo toxicity test, various cell and mitochondrial toxicity assays, RIA, ELISA, fluorimetric and photometric measurements, fluorescent microscopy
Collaborations outside COST
We have collaboration with fertility clinic from where we obtain human samples, granulosa cells and spermatozoa.
Short description of ongoing research projects
We are working on discovering the mechanism of action of environmental pollutants on reproduction, mainly tracking effects on steroidogenesis, ovulatory potential, embryonic development and spermatozoa. Within this project we are investigating effects of pollutants during early embryonic exposure on future susceptibility to malformations and diseases, according to concept Developmental Origins of Health and Disease (DOHaD). It is believed that epigenetics holds the key for this mechanism. Therefore, by analyzing DNA methylation we aim to unveil subtle toxicity that manifests later in life. Great deal of our work is oriented towards revealing signaling pathways activated by environmental pollutants using different models.
- Fa S., Larsen T.V., Bilde K., Ernst E.H., Olesen R.H., Mamsen L.S., Ernst E., Daugaard T.F., Larsen A., Nielsen AL. CYP1A1 and AHRR DNA Methylation and mRNA Expression in Human First Trimester Fetal Tissues Exposed to Maternal Cigarette Smoking. In preparation
- Fa S., Larsen T.V., Bilde K., Daugaard T.F., Ernst E.H., Olesen R.H., Mamsen L.S., Ernst E., Larsen A., Nielsen AL. (2016) Assessment of global DNA methylation in the first trimester fetal tissues exposed to maternal cigarette smoking. Clin Epigenetics 8:128.
- Hrubik J., Glisic B., Samardzija D., Stanic B., Pogrmic-Majkic K., Fa S., Andric N. (2016) Effect of PMA-induced protein kinase C activation on development and apoptosis in early zebrafish embryos. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 190:24-31. doi: 10.1016/j.cbpc.2016.08.002.
- Fa S., Pogrmic-Majkic K., Samardzija D., Hrubik J., Glisic B., Kovacevic R., Andric N. (2015) HBCDD-induced sustained reduction in mitochondrial membrane potential, ATP and steroidogenesis in peripubertal rat Leydig cells.Toxicol Appl Pharmacol, 282 (1), 20-29.
- Fa S., Samardzija D., Odzic L., Pogrmic-Majkic K., Kaisarevic S., Kovacevic R., Andric N. (2014) Hexabromocyclododecane facilitates FSH activation of ERK1/2 and AKT through epidermal growth factor receptor in rat granulosa cells. Arch Toxicol, 88 (2), 345-354.
Other activities of potential interest to others
Member of Ethics Committee on Animal welfare at University of Novi Sad