AddressUniversity of Cordoba/IMIBIC. Department of Genetics. 14071-Cordoba. SPAIN.Spain
DNA glycosylases. 5-methylcytosine, base excision repair, DNA demethylation, Epigenetic erasers.
Arabidopsis, cancer cell lines, patient samples.
- Biochemical analysis of DNA demethylation and base excision repair activities in purified proteins and cell extracts.
- DNA methylation analysis (methyl-specific PCR; pyrosequencing of bisulfite-modified DNA).
- Cell transfection.
- CRISPR-based editing.
- In vitro proliferation assays: MTT, colony formation assays
- Assays for clonogenic growth potential: tumor sphere assays.
Collaborations outside COST
Our lab collaborates with leading international groups in DNA demethylation processes in plants. We also collaborate with several basic research and clinical and groups at IMIBIC including chemists (metabolomics), biochemists (proteomics), cell biologists (signal transduction) and oncologists (breast and colon cancer). We also have links to biotechnological companies (CANVAX).
Short description of ongoing research projects
Understand the basic molecular and cellular mechanisms of DNA demethylation in a well-known model system. Develop useful tools and potential applications of DNA demethylation in both basic and biomedical research.
- Li, Y., D. Córdoba-Cañero, W. Qian, X. Zhu, K. Tang, H. Zhang, R. R. Ariza, T. Roldán-Arjona and J. K. Zhu (2015). An AP endonuclease functions in active DNA demethylation and gene imprinting in arabidopsis. PLoS Genet 11, e1004905.
- Parrilla-Doblas, J.T., Ponferrada-Marin, M.I., Roldan-Arjona, T., and Ariza, R.R. (2013). Early steps of active DNA demethylation initiated by ROS1 glycosylase require three putative helix-invading residues. Nucleic Acids Res 41, 8654-8664.
- Martinez-Macías, M.I., Cordoba-Cañero, D., Ariza, R.R., and Roldan-Arjona, T. (2013). The DNA repair protein XRCC1 functions in the plant DNA demethylation pathway by stimulating cytosine methylation (5-meC) excision, gap tailoring, and DNA ligation. J Biol Chem 288, 5496-5505.
- Martínez-Macías, M.I., Qian, W., Miki, D., Pontes, O., Liu, Y., Tang, K., Liu, R., Morales-Ruiz, T., Ariza, R.R., Roldán-Arjona, T., et al. (2012). A DNA 3' phosphatase functions in active DNA demethylation in Arabidopsis. Mol Cell 45, 357-370.
- Morales-Ruiz, T., Ortega-Galisteo, A.P., Ponferrada-Marin, M.I., Martinez-Macias, M.I., Ariza, R.R., and Roldan-Arjona, T. (2006). DEMETER and REPRESSOR OF SILENCING 1 encode 5-methylcytosine DNA glycosylases. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103, 6853-6858.
Other activities of potential interest to others