AddressInstitute for Biological Research, Bulevar despota Stefana 142, 11000 BelgradeSerbia
Diabetes mellitus; gene regulation; nutritional epigenomics; chromatin remodelling; DNA and histone methylation
cancer cell lines, rat and mouse model systems, patient samples (restricted)
Electrophoretic Mobility Shift Assay, Chromatin immunoprecipitation (ChIP), FACS facility, DNA methylation analysis (Methylation specific PCR, sequencing), DNA transfestion assays, Viability assays, Antioxidant enzyme analysis, TBARS
Collaborations outside COST
My lab collaborates with medical doctors (Endocrinology, Nephrology) for patient sample collection (blood sampling), with Finnish group involved in genotyping among type 1 diabetes population, with plant physiologists for plant material extraction which is further used for testing potential antidiabetogenic action, medicinal chemists.
Short description of ongoing research projects
Insight (cell signalling, genetic and epigenetic point of view) into the molecular control mechanisms in pancreatic b-cells and the molecular pathophysiology of diabetes that has laid the foundation for the paradigm for diabetes prevention which envisages the application of strategies that support the maintenance of appropriate b-cell numbers by suppressing cytotoxic cell signalling and preventing the activation of cell death pathways.
- Marković J., Grdović N., Dinić S., Karan-Djurašević T., Uskoković A., Arambašić J., Mihailović M., Pavlović S., Poznanović G., Vidaković M. (2013). PARP-1 and YY1 Are Important Novel Regulators of CXCL12 Gene Transcription in Rat Pancreatic Beta Cells. PLOS ONE, 8(3): e59679.
- Nevena Grdović, Svetlana Dinić, Mirjana Mihailović, Aleksandra Uskoković, Jelena Arambašić Jovanović, Goran Poznanović, Melita Vidaković. (2014). CXC chemokine ligand 12 protects pancreatic ß-cells from necrosis through Akt kinase-mediated modulation of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 activity. PLoS ONE 9(7): e101172.
- Vidaković M, Christodoulou MS, Thomas A, Poulain S, Lahtela-kakkonen M, Matulis D, Bertrand P, Bartova E, Blanquart C, Mikros E, Fokialakis N, Passarella D, Benhida R, Martinet N. (2014). Can we use the epigenetic bioactivity of caloric restriction and phytochemicals to promote healthy ageing? Medicinal Chemistry Communications, 5, 1804-1820.
- Almouzni, Vidakovic M. et al. (2014). Relationship between genome and epigenome - challenges and requirements for future research. BMC Genomics, 15: 487.
- Szarc vel Szic K, Declerck K, Vidaković M and Vanden Berghe W (2015). From inflammaging to healthy aging by dietary lifestyle choices: is epigenetics the key to personalized nutrition? Clinical Epigenetics, 7: 33. DOI 10.1186/s13148-015-0068-2.
Other activities of potential interest to others
General secretary in the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Serbia
MC in COST Action FA1201: EPICONCEPT