AddressUniversità di Bologna. Dipartimento di Farmacia e Biotecnologie Via Belmeloro 6, 40126 BolognaItaly
Medicinal chemistry, drug discovery, multi-target ligands, theranostic small molecules, fluorescent probes
Design and synthesis of small molecules as chemical probes and drug candidates
Classical batch techniques, making use of parallel synthesis tools; synthesis of fluorescent probes
Collaborations outside COST
Collaboration with Prof. Luiz Antonio Soares Romeiro (UNB, Brasilia), who is an expert in the synthesis of cashew nut shell liquid (anacardic acid, cardinal and cardol) derivatives. He has a collection of >200 congeners to be used for screening approaches.
Short description of ongoing research projects
1) Design and synthesis of functionalized anacardic acid derivatives as potential dual HDAC-PPAR inhibitors to study and treat neuroinflammation.
- 1. Prati, F. et al. Multitarget drug discovery for Alzheimer's disease: triazinones as BACE-1 and GSK-3beta inhibitors. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 54, 1578-82 (2015).
- 2. Prati, F. et al. 3,4-Dihydro-1,3,5-triazin-2(1H)-ones as the First Dual BACE-1/GSK-3beta Fragment Hits against Alzheimer's Disease. ACS Chem Neurosci (2015); DOI: 10.1021/acschemneuro.5b00121.
- 3. Prati, F. et al. 2-Phenoxy-1,4-naphthoquinones: From a Multitarget Antitrypanosomal to a Potential Antitumor Profile. J Med Chem (2015); DOI: 10.1021/acs.jmedchem.5b00748.
- 4. Nepovimova, E. et al. Multitarget Drug Design Strategy: Quinone-Tacrine Hybrids Designed To Block Amyloid-beta Aggregation and To Exert Anticholinesterase and Antioxidant Effects. J Med Chem 57, 8576-89 (2014).
- 5. Bongarzone, S., Staderini, M. & Bolognesi, M.L. Multitarget ligands and theranostics: sharpening the medicinal chemistry sword against prion diseases. Future Med Chem 6, 1017-29 (2014).
Other activities of potential interest to others
My research activity has focused on the design and synthesis of small molecules as probes for the investigation of biological pathways or as drug candidates. I’m currently focusing my efforts on the identification of multitarget ligands and theranostics for the treatment of neurodegenerative and neglected tropical diseases.