AddressFaculty of Biology, Technion - Israel Institute of Technology Israel
X-ray Crystallography, Protein-nucleic acid complexes, Nucleic acid editing enzymes, HIV, protein-ligand interactions
Macromolecule X-ray crystallography, molecular biology, enzymatic assays, molecular interactions,
Collaborations outside COST
Short description of ongoing research projects
We use biochemical and biophysical approaches to characterize APOBEC3 cytidine deaminase interactions with substrate DNA and with the HIV Vif protein. We also characterize viral proteins and viral-host protein complexes from the HIV and FIV lentiviruses.
- Alian A, Lee TT, Griner SL, Stroud RM, and Finer-Moore J. Structure of a TrmA-RNA complex: A consensus RNA fold contributes to substrate selectivity and catalysis in m5U methyltransferases. 2008, Pro. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 105: 6876-6881.
- Alian A, Degiovanni A, Griner SL, Finer-Moore JS, and Stroud RM. Crystal structure of an RluF-RNA complex: a base-pair rearrangement is the key to selectivity of RluF for U2604 of the ribosome. 2009, J. Mol. Biol., 388: 785-800.
- He X, Alian A, Stroud R, and Ortiz de Montellano PR. Pyrrolidine carboxamides as a novel class of inhibitors of enoyl acyl carrier protein reductase from Mycobacterium tuberculosis. 2006, J. Med. Chem., 49: 6308-6323.
- Galilee A. and Alian A. Identification of Phe187 as a Crucial Dimerization Determinant Facilitates Crystallization of a Monomeric Retroviral Integrase Core Domain. 2014, Structure, 22: 1512-1519
- Marx A. and Alian A. The first crystal structure of a dTTP bound deoxycytidylate deaminase validates and details the allosteric-inhibitor binding site. 2015 J. Biol. Chem.. 290: 682-690
Other activities of potential interest to others